The fountain in Piazza Camerlata was designed in 1936 by the architect Cesare Cattaneo and the painter Mario Radice on behalf of the Municipality of Como on the occasion of the VI Milan Triennale.
The fountain is nine meters high and consists of the vertical combination of four spheres and four rings and two low circular basins. From the edge of the main one rises a further vertical ring.
Due to continuous vibrations, resulting from traffic, some collapses of concrete parts occurred in 2002. A prompt intervention was necessary aimed at securing the area and identifying the causes of the instability which was followed by the intervention of restoration.
The restoration intervention was preceded by a phase of preventive diagnostics, which saw the development of a survey of the crack pattern, an endoscopic investigation that allowed to evaluate the state of conservation of the structure inside, as well as stratigraphic explorations in surface. A diagnostic campaign was then conducted to establish the composition of the fountain cladding, the chemical composition of the alteration products of both the metal structure and the cementitious cladding, the causes of corrosion of the metal structure and the detachment of the cladding.
By crossing the analytical data with the macroscopic ones, it was possible to fine-tune the restoration.